Browse by Subject

Showing 101-118 of 118 Entries

Village of Pewaukee

The Oakton Springs Hotel opened in 1873 and became a popular destination for vacationers who flocked to the village of Pewaukee and nearby Pewaukee Lake.
The WAUKESHA COUNTY Village of Pewaukee is located approximately twenty miles west of Milwaukee on Pewaukee Lake and is bisected by the Pewaukee River. As early as 1817, white merchants began trading for shells, furs, and other goods with the Native Potawatomi, Menomonee, Sauk, and Winnebago people using the area to camp, hunt, and fish;… Read More

Village of Richfield

Constructed in 1871 and operational until 1954, the Messer-Mayer Mill is located in the Richfield Historical Park. Left with its original grist milling equipment intact, the Richfield Historical Society has been working to restore the mill to a functional state for many years. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Richfield is a village in south-central WASHINGTON COUNTY. In its early history, the future Village of Richfield was part of the Town 9, Range 19 survey township, which was the standard size of 36 square miles. This township contained farmland and several small hamlets, including Colgate, Hubertus, Lake Five, Plat, Pleasant Hill, and Richfield. The… Read More

Village of River Hills

A group of young people ride horses at the Milwaukee Hunt Club in River Hills in 1930 with a golf course in the background. The country club was the center of community life for the village's wealthy residents.
River Hills is a suburb of Milwaukee. It is named for the Milwaukee River, which runs through the western part of the community, and for its rolling terrain. It is considered part of the North Shore, though it is not actually on the shore of Lake Michigan. River Hills was incorporated as a village in… Read More

Village of Slinger

This photo taken from atop a hill looks down towards Slinger in the early 20th century.
Located approximately thirty miles northwest of Milwaukee between Highway 41 and the Pike Lake Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest, the WASHINGTON COUNTY Village of Slinger has blended agricultural production and heavy manufacturing with community engagement since the late 1840s. Officially incorporated as Schleisingerville in 1869, the village’s population rose slowly through its first… Read More

Village of Summit

The Gustave Pabst House in Summit, built in 1928, graces a site that was once a dairy farm and later became part of St. Monica's Monastery.  This Italian Renaissance Revival mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Summit is a rural community in the LAKE COUNTRY area of WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of MILWAUKEE. It is bordered by the cities of OCONOMOWOC and DELAFIELD, the villages of OCONOMOWOC LAKE and DOUSMAN, and the towns of OTTAWA, Delafield, and Oconomowoc. A town for most of its history, the… Read More

Village of Sussex

The Sussex railroad depot, pictured here in 1941, was originally constructed in 1888 and known as Templeton, after settlement founder James Templeton.
The Village of Sussex, the second most populous village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, is about twenty miles northwest of Milwaukee. The area’s early residents settled a village within the Town of LISBON in 1842. Their origins in Sussex, England, gave rise to the village’s nickname as “that English Settlement.” Villagers maintained English style and custom until… Read More

Village of Thiensville

Thiensville's Main Street includes ten buildings that make up a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Thiensville is a small and primarily residential area that is completely surrounded by the City of MEQUON. The village is located along the Milwaukee River in OZAUKEE COUNTY, approximately nineteen miles northwest of downtown Milwaukee. Incorporated in 1910, the village occupies 1.1 square miles. Its estimated 2013 population was 3,235. German settlers… Read More

Village of Wales

Located near Wales, the Wisconsin State Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1907. It closed in 1957 and reopened in 1959 as the Ethan Allen School for Boys.
The Village of Wales emerged out of a settlement of WELSH immigrants in western WAUKESHA COUNTY. The first Welsh immigrant, John Hughes, arrived in 1840. Hughes and the Welshmen who followed him established farms which produced wheat, a vital cash crop that was sold and processed in Milwaukee. As intensive cultivation of wheat quickly exhausted… Read More

Walker’s Point

A photograph of the old Union Depot in Walker's Point, which the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad replaced in 1886 with a new one on Michigan Avenue.
In the 1830s and the 1840s, Virginian George Walker filed, lost, and reacquired a land claim for 160 acres bordered by the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers and the contemporary Greenfield Avenue and Sixteenth Street (S. Cesar Chavez Drive). Milwaukee’s two other original settlements of Juneautown and Kilbourntown soon joined with Walker’s Point to form the… Read More

Walworth County

The many lakes in Walworth County spurred tourist development following the Civil War. Sailing on Lake Geneva, as pictured here, proved to be popular with vacationers.
Walworth County is a county in southeastern Wisconsin, comprising approximately 555.1 square miles, with a population of 102,228 according to the 2010 United States census. Elkhorn, the county seat, is approximately 41 miles southwest of the City of Milwaukee. Walworth County borders the State of Illinois, and Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Jefferson, and Rock Counties in… Read More

Washington County

Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians is a minor Roman Catholic basilica located in Washington County. It attracts thousands of religious and nonreligious visitors annually.
Present-day Washington County borders MILWAUKEE and WAUKESHA counties to the south, OZAUKEE COUNTY to the east, Dodge County to the west, and Fond du Lac and SHEBOYGAN counties to the north. The area was under the legal jurisdiction of Milwaukee County until 1839. After separating from Milwaukee County, Washington included land that is now part… Read More

Washington Heights

Many of the homes along W. Washington Boulevard form a nationally recognized historic district. This 1919 Craftsman bungalow is an example of the neighborhood's popular architectural style.
Although the neighborhood that is now Washington Heights has not always been called such, it has long been a distinctive part of the Milwaukee area. Bounded by Wisconsin Highway 175 (formerly U. S. Highway 41) on the east, North Avenue on the North, 60th street on the west, and Vliet Street on the South, this… Read More

Washington Park

This 1929 post card illustrates groups of people enjoying the gardens and artificial lake of Washington Park.
Washington Park is a residential NEIGHBORHOOD on Milwaukee’s West Side. Its landscape is dominated by the park that provides the neighborhood with its name. The neighborhood’s boundaries are North Avenue (north), West Vliet Street (south), Wisconsin Highway 175 (west), and North 35th Street (east). The neighborhood’s history is one of transition from AGRICULTURAL farmland to… Read More

Waukesha County

This 2016 photograph provides an aerial view over some of Waukesha County's extensive farmland.
Beginning in the 1600s, France, Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois all claimed portions of what is now Waukesha County. Not until 1818, when the Michigan Legislature organized Brown County, did one of the most prosperous counties in Wisconsin begin to take shape. In 1834, it became part of the newly-formed… Read More

West Bend

A 2007 view of West Bend's downtown, with the Milwaukee River in the background.
The city of West Bend, the seat of Washington County, is located at the point where the Milwaukee River turns due east and flows into Ozaukee County. The area was settled by Euopean and American migrants in the 1840s and was incorporated as city in 1885. After its incorporation, West Bend transformed from a local… Read More

West Milwaukee

St. Florian Parish formed in West Milwaukee in 1911 and its current building was dedicated in 1939. Though the church lost a significant number of parishioners whose homes were razed for a freeway that was never built, the parish continues to serve the community today.
The Village of West Milwaukee occupies about one square mile, roughly between 38th and 56th Street and from National to Lincoln Avenue. It is surrounded by the CLEMENT J. ZABLOCKI VA MEDICAL CENTER grounds on the north, MILWAUKEE on the south and east, and West Allis to the west. Potawatomi lived in the area until… Read More

Whitefish Bay

An early twentieth century postcard view of the Whitefish Bay Resort.
The Village of Whitefish Bay is located about five miles north of downtown Milwaukee on the bluffs above Lake Michigan. It is primarily residential, with a retail shopping area along Silver Spring Drive. When settlers began moving into the area in the mid-nineteenth century, the area was much different. Like other early Milwaukee settlements, it… Read More

Yankee Hill

This 1885 view down Juneau Avenue features a tree-lined street and several residences.
Yankee Hill is a neighborhood in the City of Milwaukee. The city government describes its boundaries as Ogden Avenue to State Street, between Jackson Street and Lincoln Memorial Drive, though in the past, the boundaries have extended further west to Jefferson Street or Broadway and several blocks south to either Mason Street or Wisconsin Avenue.… Read More
1 4 5 6