Browse by Subject

Showing 81-100 of 118 Entries

Town of Trenton

St. Augustine Catholic Church, built from fieldstone in 1856, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Town of Trenton is located on the eastern edge of Washington County and originally occupied a six-mile square, or thirty-six square miles of land. This land area diminished after an extensive series of annexations by the neighboring Town of West Bend, the construction of the West Bend Municipal Airport, and the incorporation of the… Read More

Town of Waukesha

The first town hall for the Town of Waukesha, pictured here in the 1930s, was built in 1842.
The history of the Town of Waukesha parallels that of Waukesha County. It was established originally on January 2, 1838 as part of the Town of Muskego within Milwaukee County (as was the rest of what is now Waukesha County). In 1839, it became a separate township under the name of Prairie Village, changing to… Read More

Town of Wayne

Composed largely of agricultural space or wetlands, this image of the Theresa Marsh State Wildlife Area in Wayne features waterfowl in the foreground with farm buildings in the background.
Named in honor of the Revolutionary War’s General Anthony Wayne, the Town of Wayne is located in northwestern-most point in Washington County. It borders Fond du Lac County to the north and Dodge County to the west. When European incomers arrived and settled the area, beginning in 1846, they found a dense hardwood forest. Much… Read More

Village of Bayside

Image of the Lion Gate that features a lion statue placed on top of stone walls. Written on the sculpture's base is the name of one of its creators, which is "Fred Usinger." On the stone wall, several feet beneath the statue is inscribed "Country Life in Donges Bay 1890 – 1911.” Next to the gate is a street name sign that reads "E Fairy Chasm Rd." Lush trees growing behind the stone walls appear in the right portion of this image.
Located along LAKE MICHIGAN, about twelve miles north of downtown MILWAUKEE, the Village of Bayside occupies the northern end of MILWAUKEE COUNTY’s lakeshore and extends into OZAUKEE COUNTY. The Village had a population of 4,389 in 2010 and a median estimated home value of $325,600 in 2014. An AGRICULTURAL and summer home region in the… Read More

Village of Big Bend

Low-angle shot of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon facade set on a green lawn. The image shows two sides of the one-story building. The main entrance is on the left, flanked by two rectangular windows. On the right are three windows in the same style. The entrance door and exterior wall are made of wood in white paint. Two stone chimneys are on its roof.
The Village of Big Bend is located along the Fox River within the Town of Vernon, southwest of MILWAUKEE. Like much of WAUKESHA COUNTY, Big Bend and Vernon began as farming communities. The Town of Vernon was founded in 1839, while the Village of Big Bend was incorporated out of Vernon’s land in 1928. In… Read More

Village of Brown Deer

Facade of the Brown Deer Little White Schoolhouse facing slightly to the right against the blue sky. The small single-story building consists of white-colored wooden exterior walls and a chimney atop its gable roof. The main entrance features a single white door set between two rectangular windows with white shutters. A large green lawn and several trees grow in its surroundings.
Located in northern MILWAUKEE COUNTY, the suburban village of Brown Deer is bordered on the west and south by the CITY OF MILWAUKEE. With an area of 4.5 square miles and a 2010 population of 11,999, Brown Deer is sometimes seen as a bridge between the city and the other North Shore suburbs of SHOREWOOD,… Read More

Village of Butler

Wide shot of the Butler Rail Yard showing a freight train in predominantly yellow color passing on one of several railroad tracks. Several buildings and a blue sky appear in the background. Utility poles stand in the foreground.
The Village of Butler lies on WAUKESHA COUNTY’S eastern border, surrounded by Menomonee Falls, Brookfield, and Milwaukee. The small, industrial village owes its existence to the railroad industry. In the twenty-first century, residents continue to celebrate that connection. In 1909, the Milwaukee, Sparta, and North Western Railway built a railroad yard on Milwaukee’s 124th St. border… Read More

Village of Chenequa

Panoramic view of Pine Lake and the centerpiece of the village of Chenequa in sepia tone. George Brumder's summer house appears in the distance among tall trees next to the large body of water.
The Village of Chenequa is centered on Pine Lake in the LAKE COUNTRY area of WAUKESHA COUNTY, approximately 30 miles west of the city of Milwaukee. In 2010 Chenequa’s population was estimated to be 590. The Potawatomi were the last native peoples known to have inhabited the area, with villages established on the eastern and… Read More

Village of Dousman

Long shot of the Dousman station of the Chicago and North Western Railway in sepia tone. It shows a crisscrossing railroad track line on the left and center of this image. To the right is the station's building, which features an open gabled roof and a chimney. Some people stand on the platform while a train approaches.
Dousman is a small village located about 35 miles west of Milwaukee in Waukesha County’s “Lake Country.” It was named after Talbot C. Dousman, a prominent local politician who settled there in in the mid-1830s. Historically a popular location for summer visitors to the Lake Country, Dousman was the most important community center in the… Read More

Village of Elm Grove

Grayscale wide shot of four nuns in white dress kneeling while facing left at the center background. A silhouette of another nun holding a bible appears dominantly on the right to the center front. A man in priestly garb stands at the left up a short flight of stairs.
The Village of Elm Grove is a community of about six thousand people in eastern Waukesha County. It borders the Village of Wauwatosa to the east and the City of Brookfield in all other directions. It was part of the Town of Brookfield until 1955. It is governed by a seven-member volunteer board. All trustees,… Read More

Village of Fox Point

The Fox Point Club was established by the community's early visitors and served as a popular gathering place for the wealthy.
Fox Point is a suburb of Milwaukee. It is located on the North Shore, east of Milwaukee along Lake Michigan, and was incorporated as a village in 1926. As a village, it does not have full-time elected officials. Rather, it has a village board that consists of a president and six trustees. They serve three-year… Read More

Village of Grafton

Paramount Plaza is a park in Grafton that memorializes the Paramount Record Label, which pressed its records in the village.
The Village of Grafton, located twenty miles north of Milwaukee in OZAUKEE COUNTY, is centered on the Milwaukee River. The village is bordered by the City and Town of Cedarburg to the west and the TOWN OF GRAFTON to the east. In 1896, the Village of Grafton was incorporated from the Town of Grafton. When… Read More

Village of Hartland

The Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad Depot, built in Hartland in 1879, is the last remaining railroad depot in the Village.
According to legend, in 1838 Stephen Warren, the first white settler of the Hartland area, walked from the city of Ann Arbor in Michigan to the WAUKESHA area in search of desirable farm land. Warren established a farmstead where his family joined him. The Warren family was followed by native-born migrants in addition to Swedish,… Read More

Village of Lac La Belle

Only a few hundred people live in Lac La Belle, which also lacks a business area and is mostly green space.
The Village of Lac La Belle is a small, affluent community located about 38 miles west of Milwaukee along three miles of Lac La Belle, one of WAUKESHA COUNTY’S biggest lakes. With only 289 residents as of 2010, Lac La Belle is the least populated village in the county. It is located almost entirely within… Read More

Village of Lannon

This 1904 image taken at the Lake Shore Stone Quarry in Lannon illustrates a cross-section of the rock and limestone for which the village is known.
The Village of Lannon is a small community in northeastern WAUKESHA COUNTY incorporated in 1930. As of the 2010 census the village had a population of 1,107. Lannon is located on the Niagara Escarpment, a geographic feature that stretches across the Great Lakes region and contains a significant amount of limestone. The first limestone quarry… Read More

Village of Menomonee Falls

A view of Menomonee Falls in 1886, highlighting its industrial operations, churches, and both wild and planted trees.
Home to roughly 36,000 residents in 2010, Menomonee Falls is Wisconsin’s most populous village. Located approximately fifteen miles northwest of Milwaukee in WAUKESHA COUNTY, the settlement was named for the Menomonee River, a tributary of the MILWAUKEE RIVER. Native Menomonee people inhabited the area before white settlement, which began in earnest after 1840; the village… Read More

Village of Nashotah

The Nashotah railway station opened in 1854 and served as an important gateway for individuals heading to the Lake Country for vacation or the Nashotah House to fulfill a religious vocation.
The Village of Nashotah is located about forty miles northwest of MILWAUKEE in WAUKESHA COUNTY’s LAKE COUNTRY. The Village’s name comes from a Native American term meaning “twins.” Nashotah is named for the nearby Upper and Lower Nashotah Lakes, although the lakes themselves are not within the Village. The Village does border Lake Nagawicka and… Read More

Village of Newburg

Built in 1929 to span the Milwaukee River, the steel truss bridge in Newburg was one of the last of its kind in Wisconsin when it was demolished in 2003.
The Village of Newburg was incorporated in 1973 and spans both Washington and Ozaukee counties, though a majority of the land area and population lies within Washington County. Incorporated with a population of just 634 residents, the Village of Newburg was formed out of parcels of land from the TOWN OF SAUKVILLE in Ozaukee County… Read More

Village of North Prairie

Though only operational for a short duration of time, the Morey Milk Condensery spurred economic growth in North Prairie in the early 20th century.
North Prairie is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about thirty-three miles southwest of Milwaukee. It is surrounded by EAGLE, MUKWONAGO, GENESEE, and OTTAWA. In the nineteenth century, North Prairie was an unincorporated village in the Town of Genesee. Three prospectors from Mukwonago—Thomas Coats, William Garton, and Thomas Sugden—settled and named the village in 1836. Within… Read More

Village of Oconomowoc Lake

This early twentieth century map highlights pleasure boating and the mansions surrounding Oconomowoc Lake.
Oconomowoc Lake is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. The village completely surrounds the large lake it is named after, which is the village’s focal point. Originally part of the Towns of SUMMIT and OCONOMOWOC, the community came into being in the early twentieth century. Like the nearby village of… Read More