Browse by Subject

Showing 61-79 of 79 entries

Village of Hartland

The Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul Railroad Depot, built in Hartland in 1879, is the last remaining railroad depot in the Village.
According to legend, in 1838 Stephen Warren, the first white settler of the Hartland area, walked from the city of Ann Arbor in Michigan to the WAUKESHA area in search of desirable farm land. Warren established a farmstead where his family joined him. The Warren family was followed by native-born migrants in addition to Swedish,…
Read More

Village of Lac La Belle

Only a few hundred people live in Lac La Belle, which also lacks a business area and is mostly green space.
The Village of Lac La Belle is a small, affluent community located about 38 miles west of Milwaukee along three miles of Lac La Belle, one of WAUKESHA COUNTY’S biggest lakes. With only 289 residents as of 2010, Lac La Belle is the least populated village in the county. It is located almost entirely within…
Read More

Village of Lannon

This 1904 image taken at the Lake Shore Stone Quarry in Lannon illustrates a cross-section of the rock and limestone for which the village is known.
The Village of Lannon is a small community in northeastern WAUKESHA COUNTY incorporated in 1930. As of the 2010 census the village had a population of 1,107. Lannon is located on the Niagara Escarpment, a geographic feature that stretches across the Great Lakes region and contains a significant amount of limestone. The first limestone quarry…
Read More

Village of Menomonee Falls

A view of Menomonee Falls in 1886, highlighting its industrial operations, churches, and both wild and planted trees.
Home to roughly 36,000 residents in 2010, Menomonee Falls is Wisconsin’s most populous village. Located approximately fifteen miles northwest of Milwaukee in WAUKESHA COUNTY, the settlement was named for the Menomonee River, a tributary of the MILWAUKEE RIVER. Native Menomonee people inhabited the area before white settlement, which began in earnest after 1840; the village…
Read More

Village of Nashotah

The Nashotah railway station opened in 1854 and served as an important gateway for individuals heading to the Lake Country for vacation or the Nashotah House to fulfill a religious vocation.
The Village of Nashotah is located about forty miles northwest of MILWAUKEE in WAUKESHA COUNTY’s LAKE COUNTRY. The Village’s name comes from a Native American term meaning “twins.” Nashotah is named for the nearby Upper and Lower Nashotah Lakes, although the lakes themselves are not within the Village. The Village does border Lake Nagawicka and…
Read More

Village of Newburg

Built in 1929 to span the Milwaukee River, the steel truss bridge in Newburg was one of the last of its kind in Wisconsin when it was demolished in 2003.
The Village of Newburg was incorporated in 1973 and spans both Washington and Ozaukee counties, though a majority of the land area and population lies within Washington County. Incorporated with a population of just 634 residents, the Village of Newburg was formed out of parcels of land from the TOWN OF SAUKVILLE in OZAUKEE COUNTY…
Read More

Village of North Prairie

Though only operational for a short duration of time, the Morey Milk Condensery spurred economic growth in North Prairie in the early 20th century.
North Prairie is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about thirty-three miles southwest of Milwaukee. It is surrounded by EAGLE, MUKWONAGO, GENESEE, and OTTAWA. In the nineteenth century, North Prairie was an unincorporated village in the Town of Genesee. Three prospectors from Mukwonago—Thomas Coats, William Garton, and Thomas Sugden—settled and named the village in 1836. Within…
Read More

Village of Oconomowoc Lake

This early twentieth century map highlights pleasure boating and the mansions surrounding Oconomowoc Lake.
Oconomowoc Lake is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. The village completely surrounds the large lake it is named after, which is the village’s focal point. Originally part of the Towns of SUMMIT and OCONOMOWOC, the community came into being in the early twentieth century. Like the nearby village of…
Read More

Village of Pewaukee

The Oakton Springs Hotel opened in 1873 and became a popular destination for vacationers who flocked to the village of Pewaukee and nearby Pewaukee Lake.
The WAUKESHA COUNTY Village of Pewaukee is located approximately twenty miles west of Milwaukee on Pewaukee Lake and is bisected by the Pewaukee River. As early as 1817, white merchants began trading for shells, furs, and other goods with the Native Potawatomi, Menomonee, Sauk, and Winnebago people using the area to camp, hunt, and fish;…
Read More

Village of Richfield

Constructed in 1871 and operational until 1954, the Messer-Mayer Mill is located in the Richfield Historical Park. Left with its original grist milling equipment intact, the Richfield Historical Society has been working to restore the mill to a functional state for many years. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Richfield is a village in south-central WASHINGTON COUNTY. In its early history, the future Village of Richfield was part of the Town 9, Range 19 survey township, which was the standard size of 36 square miles. This township contained farmland and several small hamlets, including Colgate, Hubertus, Lake Five, Plat, Pleasant Hill, and Richfield. The…
Read More

Village of Slinger

This photo taken from atop a hill looks down towards Slinger in the early 20th century.
Located approximately thirty miles northwest of Milwaukee between Highway 41 and the Pike Lake Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest, the WASHINGTON COUNTY Village of Slinger has blended agricultural production and heavy manufacturing with community engagement since the late 1840s. Officially incorporated as Schleisingerville in 1869, the village’s population rose slowly through its first…
Read More

Village of Summit

The Gustave Pabst House in Summit, built in 1928, graces a site that was once a dairy farm and later became part of St. Monica's Monastery.  This Italian Renaissance Revival mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Summit is a rural community in the LAKE COUNTRY area of WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of MILWAUKEE. It is bordered by the cities of OCONOMOWOC and DELAFIELD, the villages of OCONOMOWOC LAKE and DOUSMAN, and the towns of OTTAWA, Delafield, and Oconomowoc. A town for most of its history, the…
Read More

Village of Sussex

The Sussex railroad depot, pictured here in 1941, was originally constructed in 1888 and known as Templeton, after settlement founder James Templeton.
The Village of Sussex, the second most populous village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, is about twenty miles northwest of Milwaukee. The area’s early residents settled a village within the Town of LISBON in 1842. Their origins in Sussex, England, gave rise to the village’s nickname as “that English Settlement.” Villagers maintained English style and custom until…
Read More

Village of Thiensville

Thiensville's Main Street includes ten buildings that make up a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Thiensville is a small and primarily residential area that is completely surrounded by the City of MEQUON. The village is located along the Milwaukee River in OZAUKEE COUNTY, approximately nineteen miles northwest of downtown Milwaukee. Incorporated in 1910, the village occupies 1.1 square miles. Its estimated 2013 population was 3,235. German settlers…
Read More

Village of Wales

Located near Wales, the Wisconsin State Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1907. It closed in 1957 and reopened in 1959 as the Ethan Allen School for Boys.
The Village of Wales emerged out of a settlement of WELSH immigrants in western WAUKESHA COUNTY. The first Welsh immigrant, John Hughes, arrived in 1840. Hughes and the Welshmen who followed him established farms which produced wheat, a vital cash crop that was sold and processed in Milwaukee. As intensive cultivation of wheat quickly exhausted…
Read More

Walker’s Point

A photograph of the old Union Depot in Walker's Point, which the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad replaced in 1886 with a new one on Michigan Avenue.
In the 1830s and the 1840s, Virginian George Walker filed, lost, and reacquired a land claim for 160 acres bordered by the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers and the contemporary Greenfield Avenue and Sixteenth Street (S. Cesar Chavez Drive). Milwaukee’s two other original settlements of Juneautown and Kilbourntown soon joined with Walker’s Point to form the…
Read More

Washington County

Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians is a minor Roman Catholic basilica located in Washington County. It attracts thousands of religious and nonreligious visitors annually.
Present-day Washington County borders MILWAUKEE and WAUKESHA counties to the south, OZAUKEE COUNTY to the east, Dodge County to the west, and Fond du Lac and SHEBOYGAN counties to the north. The area was under the legal jurisdiction of Milwaukee County until 1839. After separating from Milwaukee County, Washington included land that is now part…
Read More

West Bend

A 2007 view of West Bend's downtown, with the Milwaukee River in the background.
The city of West Bend, the seat of Washington County, is located at the point where the Milwaukee River turns due east and flows into Ozaukee County. The area was settled by Euopean and American migrants in the 1840s and was incorporated as city in 1885. After its incorporation, West Bend transformed from a local…
Read More

West Milwaukee

St. Florian Parish formed in West Milwaukee in 1911 and its current building was dedicated in 1939. Though the church lost a significant number of parishioners whose homes were razed for a freeway that was never built, the parish continues to serve the community today.
The Village of West Milwaukee occupies about one square mile, roughly between 38th and 56th Street and from National to Lincoln Avenue. It is surrounded by the CLEMENT J. ZABLOCKI VA MEDICAL CENTER grounds on the north, Milwaukee on the south and east, and West Allis to the west. Potawatomi lived in the area until…
Read More