Browse by Subject

Showing 41-60 of 83 entries

Riverwest

Carriages parade past Frank Burczyk Saloon on North Bremen Street in Riverwest.
Riverwest is a neighborhood in the city of Milwaukee bounded by the Milwaukee River on the east and south, N. Holton Street on the west, and E. Capitol Drive on the north. The neighborhood’s first development was at dams on the river in the mid-1830s—one located just south of present-day Capitol Drive, the other south…
Read More

Saukville

Built in 1848 by William Payne, one of Saukville's first residents, the Payne Hotel still stands near Saukville's downtown area and Triangle Park.
The Saukville area is about 25 miles north of Milwaukee in Ozaukee County. The Saukville area was initially part of the Township of Washington, which is today’s PORT WASHINGTON. Established in 1848, the Township of Saukville contained what became municipalities of the Village of Saukville and the Town of Saukville. The original inhabitants of the…
Read More

Sherman Park

Taken in the summer of 1963, this photograph provides a view of N. Sherman Boulevard from North Avenue.
Sherman Park is a primarily residential neighborhood on Milwaukee’s West Side, located between 35th and 60th streets, North Avenue and Capitol Drive. It is one of the city’s most diverse communities. In the late 1890s, GERMAN residents of Milwaukee’s crowded North Side began building homes in the farmland west of the railroad line that ran…
Read More

Shorewood

This postcard provides an aerial view of the Wonderland amusement park at the beginning of the 20th century, first opened as Lueddemann's-on-the-River in 1872.
In 1900, the village of East Milwaukee was incorporated. It occupied an area of roughly 1.5 square miles between Lake Michigan and the Milwaukee River, the Milwaukee City border on the south, and the recently incorporated village of Whitefish Bay to the north. In 1917, the name was changed to Shorewood to further distinguish the…
Read More

Story Hill

This 1934 photograph displays houses in Story Hill neighborhood, as well as the recently improved intersection of North Story Parkway and West Wisconsin Avenue.
The Story Hill neighborhood is on the west side of the City of Milwaukee. The neighborhood’s boundaries are roughly the Menomonee River to the north, Frederick Miller Way to the south, Hawley Road to the west, and US Highway 41/Miller Park Way to the east. But parts of it extend along Blue Mound Road to…
Read More

Thurston Woods

The intersection of N. 35th Street and Silver Spring Avenue, as it appeared in 1940.
The Thurston Woods neighborhood is located in northwest Milwaukee. It is bordered by Douglas Avenue to the north, Silver Spring Avenue to the south, Hopkins Street to the west and Teutonia Avenue to the east. It includes several distinctive sections, including an eponymous subdivision and the Berryland Public Housing Development. It is named after oyster…
Read More

Tippecanoe

Houses under construction in 1950, shortly after this parcel on South Howard Street was annexed into Milwaukee.
Tippecanoe is a neighborhood in the City of Milwaukee. The city government describes its boundaries as Morgan Avenue to the north and Norwich and Whitnall Avenues to the south from the City of St. Francis to Howell Avenue, with a segment extending to Sixth Street between Howard Avenue and Norwich Avenue. Unofficially, some people put…
Read More

Town of Addison

This 2014 photograph shows the nineteenth century Ritger Wagonmaking and Blacksmith Shop in its modern context.
Located in west-central WASHINGTON COUNTY, the Town of Addison borders Dodge County to the west, the TOWN OF WAYNE to the north, the TOWN OF HARTFORD to the south, and the TOWNS OF BARTON and WEST BEND to the east. Settled predominantly by Germans following the regional completion of the U.S. Public Land Survey, the…
Read More

Town of Barton

Milling activity, such as that which took place in the Barton Roller Mills, was a foundational business enterprise in Barton.
The Town of Barton occupies 19.5 square miles in WASHINGTON COUNTY, 37 miles northwest of downtown Milwaukee. The town is governed by a town board made up of five members. The town is home to the unincorporated community of Young America. The early histories of town and village of Barton were intertwined. The Village of…
Read More

Town of Erin

This 2016 photograph of the Town of Erin shows the combination of rural farms and modern housing that characterize its twenty-first century development.
Incorporated on January 16, 1846, the Town of Erin is located in the southwest corner of WASHINGTON COUNTY. The Town features one of the highest points in southeastern Wisconsin, an elevation of 1,330 feet above sea level. Perched atop this hill, overlooking hundreds of acres of natural hardwood forest is HOLY HILL, a minor basilica…
Read More

Town of Farmington

St. Peter's Church, an example of fieldstone construction, was built in 1861.
The Town of Farmington occupies the northeast corner of WASHINGTON COUNTY. It borders Sheboygan County to the north and Ozaukee County to the east. Originally, the Town of Farmington was part of the TOWN OF WEST BEND, though in 1847 an act of the state legislature set off a piece of land, first called Clarence.…
Read More

Town of Genesee

The Booth House in unincorporated Saylesville in the Town of Genesee was made from stone mined from the nearby Johnston Quarry.
The Town of Genesee is located in the Kettle Moraine region of WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. Its contemporary population of approximately 7,340 people is spread out over its 32 square miles. Genesee’s first European settlers, primarily German, Welsh, Irish, and English immigrants, arrived in the 1830s. These migrants established many small…
Read More

Town of Grafton

This photo captures a view of Lake Michigan, looking towards Port Washington, from the Lion's Den Gorge Nature Preserve in Grafton.
Located twenty miles north of Milwaukee in Ozaukee County, the Town of Grafton borders LAKE MICHIGAN to the east and the VILLAGE OF GRAFTON and the TOWN OF CEDARBURG to the west. The Wisconsin Territory created the Town in 1846. While it shares much of its history with the Village of Grafton, the Town of…
Read More

Town of Lisbon

The unincorporated community of Lake Five, pictured here, exists within the boundaries of the town of Lisbon, a rural area with significant natural space.
The Town of Lisbon is a rural community of approximately 10,000 residents spread out over 27 square miles. It is about 25 miles northwest of Milwaukee in WAUKESHA COUNTY. The first families to settle the area were the English Redfords and Weavers, who arrived in the mid-1830s. After 1838, when Lisbon became an official Town,…
Read More

Town of Ottawa

The Scuppernong Trail through the Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest, which makes up a large portion of the Town of Ottawa.
The Town of Ottawa, established in 1843, is located about 30 miles west of MILWAUKEE in western WAUKESHA COUNTY. The Town occupies 36 square miles. Bordered by the villages of SUMMIT, DOUSMAN, and NORTH PRAIRIE and the towns of EAGLE, GENESEE, and Concord, Ottawa is a rural area defined by its connection to the KETTLE…
Read More

Town of Polk

This 1915 plat map of the Town of Polk highlights how waterways and railroads shaped its settlement and development.
Incorporated on January 21, 1846, the Town of Polk hosts numerous lakes, streams, and rivers. Located in the center of Washington County, the Town’s northern edge follows the coastline of both the Little and Big Cedar Lakes. Major rivers within the Town include Coney River, part of Evergreen Creek, and Cedar Creek. From the earliest…
Read More

Town of Trenton

St. Augustine Catholic Church, built from fieldstone in 1856, is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Town of Trenton is located on the eastern edge of Washington County and originally occupied a six-mile square, or thirty-six square miles of land. This land area diminished after an extensive series of annexations by the neighboring Town of West Bend, the construction of the West Bend Municipal Airport, and the incorporation of the…
Read More

Town of Wayne

Composed largely of agricultural space or wetlands, this image of the Theresa Marsh State Wildlife Area in Wayne features waterfowl in the foreground with farm buildings in the background.
Named in honor of the Revolutionary War’s General Anthony Wayne, the Town of Wayne is located in northwestern-most point in Washington County. It borders Fond du Lac County to the north and Dodge County to the west. When European incomers arrived and settled the area, beginning in 1846, they found a dense hardwood forest. Much…
Read More

Village of Bayside

Located at the intersection of Lake Drive and Fairy Chasm Road, Bayside's iconic Lion Gate was built in 1911 by Frederick Usinger and Jacob Donges. The men used the gate to mark the entrance to their estates that were then part of South Fairy Chasm.
Located along LAKE MICHIGAN, about twelve miles north of downtown MILWAUKEE, the Village of Bayside occupies the northern end of MILWAUKEE COUNTY’s lakeshore and extends into OZAUKEE COUNTY. The Village had a population of 4,389 in 2010 and a median estimated home value of $325,600 in 2014. An AGRICULTURAL and summer home region in the…
Read More

Village of Big Bend

The Reformed Presbyterian Church of Vernon, in use for worship from 1854 until the 1930s and restored in the 1970s, is an example of Greek Revival architecture listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Big Bend is located along the Fox River within the Town of Vernon, southwest of MILWAUKEE. Like much of WAUKESHA COUNTY, Big Bend and Vernon began as farming communities. The Town of Vernon was founded in 1839, while the Village of Big Bend was incorporated out of Vernon’s land in 1928. In…
Read More