Advanced Search

Showing 621-640 of 682 Entries

Village of Newburg

Built in 1929 to span the Milwaukee River, the steel truss bridge in Newburg was one of the last of its kind in Wisconsin when it was demolished in 2003.
The Village of Newburg was incorporated in 1973 and spans both Washington and Ozaukee counties, though a majority of the land area and population lies within Washington County. Incorporated with a population of just 634 residents, the Village of Newburg was formed out of parcels of land from the TOWN OF SAUKVILLE in OZAUKEE COUNTY… Read More

Village of North Prairie

Though only operational for a short duration of time, the Morey Milk Condensery spurred economic growth in North Prairie in the early 20th century.
North Prairie is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about thirty-three miles southwest of Milwaukee. It is surrounded by EAGLE, MUKWONAGO, GENESEE, and OTTAWA. In the nineteenth century, North Prairie was an unincorporated village in the Town of Genesee. Three prospectors from Mukwonago—Thomas Coats, William Garton, and Thomas Sugden—settled and named the village in 1836. Within… Read More

Village of Oconomowoc Lake

This early twentieth century map highlights pleasure boating and the mansions surrounding Oconomowoc Lake.
Oconomowoc Lake is a village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of Milwaukee. The village completely surrounds the large lake it is named after, which is the village’s focal point. Originally part of the Towns of SUMMIT and OCONOMOWOC, the community came into being in the early twentieth century. Like the nearby village of… Read More

Village of Pewaukee

The Oakton Springs Hotel opened in 1873 and became a popular destination for vacationers who flocked to the village of Pewaukee and nearby Pewaukee Lake.
The WAUKESHA COUNTY Village of Pewaukee is located approximately twenty miles west of Milwaukee on Pewaukee Lake and is bisected by the Pewaukee River. As early as 1817, white merchants began trading for shells, furs, and other goods with the Native Potawatomi, Menomonee, Sauk, and Winnebago people using the area to camp, hunt, and fish;… Read More

Village of Richfield

Constructed in 1871 and operational until 1954, the Messer-Mayer Mill is located in the Richfield Historical Park. Left with its original grist milling equipment intact, the Richfield Historical Society has been working to restore the mill to a functional state for many years. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Richfield is a village in south-central WASHINGTON COUNTY. In its early history, the future Village of Richfield was part of the Town 9, Range 19 survey township, which was the standard size of 36 square miles. This township contained farmland and several small hamlets, including Colgate, Hubertus, Lake Five, Plat, Pleasant Hill, and Richfield. The… Read More

Village of River Hills

A group of young people ride horses at the Milwaukee Hunt Club in River Hills in 1930 with a golf course in the background. The country club was the center of community life for the village's wealthy residents.
River Hills is a suburb of Milwaukee. It is named for the Milwaukee River, which runs through the western part of the community, and for its rolling terrain. It is considered part of the North Shore, though it is not actually on the shore of Lake Michigan. River Hills was incorporated as a village in… Read More

Village of Slinger

This photo taken from atop a hill looks down towards Slinger in the early 20th century.
Located approximately thirty miles northwest of Milwaukee between Highway 41 and the Pike Lake Unit of the Kettle Moraine State Forest, the WASHINGTON COUNTY Village of Slinger has blended agricultural production and heavy manufacturing with community engagement since the late 1840s. Officially incorporated as Schleisingerville in 1869, the village’s population rose slowly through its first… Read More

Village of Summit

The Gustave Pabst House in Summit, built in 1928, graces a site that was once a dairy farm and later became part of St. Monica's Monastery.  This Italian Renaissance Revival mansion is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Summit is a rural community in the LAKE COUNTRY area of WAUKESHA COUNTY, about 30 miles west of MILWAUKEE. It is bordered by the cities of OCONOMOWOC and DELAFIELD, the villages of OCONOMOWOC LAKE and DOUSMAN, and the towns of OTTAWA, Delafield, and Oconomowoc. A town for most of its history, the… Read More

Village of Sussex

The Sussex railroad depot, pictured here in 1941, was originally constructed in 1888 and known as Templeton, after settlement founder James Templeton.
The Village of Sussex, the second most populous village in WAUKESHA COUNTY, is about twenty miles northwest of Milwaukee. The area’s early residents settled a village within the Town of LISBON in 1842. Their origins in Sussex, England, gave rise to the village’s nickname as “that English Settlement.” Villagers maintained English style and custom until… Read More

Village of Thiensville

Thiensville's Main Street includes ten buildings that make up a Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Village of Thiensville is a small and primarily residential area that is completely surrounded by the City of MEQUON. The village is located along the Milwaukee River in OZAUKEE COUNTY, approximately nineteen miles northwest of downtown Milwaukee. Incorporated in 1910, the village occupies 1.1 square miles. Its estimated 2013 population was 3,235. German settlers… Read More

Village of Wales

Located near Wales, the Wisconsin State Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened in 1907. It closed in 1957 and reopened in 1959 as the Ethan Allen School for Boys.
The Village of Wales emerged out of a settlement of WELSH immigrants in western WAUKESHA COUNTY. The first Welsh immigrant, John Hughes, arrived in 1840. Hughes and the Welshmen who followed him established farms which produced wheat, a vital cash crop that was sold and processed in Milwaukee. As intensive cultivation of wheat quickly exhausted… Read More

Visiting Nurse Association of Milwaukee

Visiting Nurse Association of Milwaukee founder Sarah Boyd (left) is shown with two nurses in this 1922 photograph.
The Visiting Nurse Association of Milwaukee originated in 1906 when Milwaukee businesswoman Sarah Boyd hired Maude Tompkins, a nurse with the Visiting Nurse Association of Chicago, to live in her home and provide free health care to nearby low-income residents. In 1907 Boyd, Mariette Tweedy, and other civic leaders incorporated the Visiting Nurse Association of… Read More

Vocational Education

Students work in a shoe rebuilding class held at the Milwaukee Vocational and Adult Schools in 1961.
Wisconsin’s organized system of vocational education began in 1911. By 2016, it consisted of sixteen technical colleges and forty-nine campuses under the mantle of the Wisconsin Technical College System. It offers more than four hundred programs designed to train students to enter the workplace, and it is especially known for its offerings centering on manufacturing… Read More

Vouchers in Education

Dr. Howard Fuller, formerly superintendent of Milwaukee Public Schools, has been a strong advocate of vouchers as a means of improving educational opportunities for central city youth in Milwaukee.
Milwaukee attracted national attention, beginning in 1990, when it became the first city in the nation where elementary and high school students could enroll in private schools, using public money to support their education. The Wisconsin legislature had approved a law, signed by Governor Tommy G. Thompson, which allowed private school “vouchers.” Over the next… Read More

Walker’s Point

A photograph of the old Union Depot in Walker's Point, which the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad replaced in 1886 with a new one on Michigan Avenue.
In the 1830s and the 1840s, Virginian George Walker filed, lost, and reacquired a land claim for 160 acres bordered by the Milwaukee and Menomonee Rivers and the contemporary Greenfield Avenue and Sixteenth Street (S. Cesar Chavez Drive). Milwaukee’s two other original settlements of Juneautown and Kilbourntown soon joined with Walker’s Point to form the… Read More

Walker’s Point Center for the Arts

Visitors browse an art show opening at the Walker's Point Center for the Arts in 2011.
The Walker’s Point Center for the Arts (WPCA), founded in 1987, welcomes both cutting-edge works and visual art focused the traditions of the neighborhood’s Latin American residents. The Center is situated on the city’s south side at 839 West 5th Street. It was the brainchild of a mother-son team—Steven and Phyllis P. Chicorel—who wished to… Read More

Walworth County

The many lakes in Walworth County spurred tourist development following the Civil War. Sailing on Lake Geneva, as pictured here, proved to be popular with vacationers.
Walworth County is a county in southeastern Wisconsin, comprising approximately 555.1 square miles, with a population of 102,228 according to the 2010 United States census. Elkhorn, the county seat, is approximately 41 miles southwest of the City of Milwaukee. Walworth County borders the State of Illinois, and Kenosha, Racine, Waukesha, Jefferson, and Rock Counties in… Read More

Wartime Milwaukee

Children accompanied by women march down Lincoln Avenue on April 1, 1918 during a liberty loan parade.
The United States has fought three major wars since Milwaukee became a city. Milwaukee’s wartime history reflects its evolution from a frontier town to an industrial center, highlights the city’s changing political priorities and gender roles, and provides a case study of the stresses and strains war has put on American cities since the mid-nineteenth… Read More

Washington County

Holy Hill National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians is a minor Roman Catholic basilica located in Washington County. It attracts thousands of religious and nonreligious visitors annually.
Present-day Washington County borders MILWAUKEE and WAUKESHA counties to the south, OZAUKEE COUNTY to the east, Dodge County to the west, and Fond du Lac and SHEBOYGAN counties to the north. The area was under the legal jurisdiction of Milwaukee County until 1839. After separating from Milwaukee County, Washington included land that is now part… Read More

Washington Heights

Many of the homes along W. Washington Boulevard form a nationally recognized historic district. This 1919 Craftsman bungalow is an example of the neighborhood's popular architectural style.
Although the neighborhood that is now Washington Heights has not always been called such, it has long been a distinctive part of the Milwaukee area. Bounded by Wisconsin Highway 175 (formerly U. S. Highway 41) on the east, North Avenue on the North, 60th street on the west, and Vliet Street on the South, this… Read More