The North Avenue Dam, in place since 1891, was partially removed in 1994 and fully removed in 1997 to help improve the river’s water quality. A pedestrian bridge is now in place near the former dam site, which connects the two sides of the RiverWalk.
From the Harold Mayer Collection, American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries. Link to Image Source URL
Automobiles and boats traverse Milwaukee’s downtown by the Michigan Avenue Bridge in this 1974 photograph by Harold Mayer.
From the American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries, Harold Mayer Collection, Color Slide. Original ID: 8b, 21-265; Digital Collection: Milwaukee Neighborhoods: Photos and Maps 18885-1992, Digital ID: me000372.