Lannon is located on the Niagara Escarpment, a geographic feature that stretches across the Great Lakes region and contains a significant amount of limestone. The first limestone quarry in WAUKESHA COUNTY was opened in the Lannon area in 1838. The village’s QUARRIES attracted ITALIAN, POLISH, and GERMAN immigrants, many of whom were skilled stone cutters. In the nineteenth century and early twentieth century Lannon’s limestone was used to construct homes and it was also burned in kilns to make quicklime, a main component of whitewash. Since World War II limestone from Lannon has been utilized for the construction of churches and landscaping throughout the Midwest.
- ^ Michael R. Reilly, “Lannon History—After Incorporation 1930-1959,” Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Inc., Accessed April 10 2012.
- ^ American Fact Finder, “Lannon Village Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010,” Accessed April 10 2012, http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=DEC_10_DP_DPDP1&prodType=table
- ^ Ruth Schmidt, “Lannon and Its Quarries,” Sussex-Lisbon Area Historical Society, Accessed April 10 2012.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Ibid.
- ^ Halquist Stone, “Our History,” Accessed April 10 2012.