This photograph, looking north on 10th Street just south of State Street, captures three elements of the St. Benedict the Moor Mission in the 1930s: on the far right a sliver of the church (with cupola along roofpeak), St. Anthony Hospital (right of center), and the boarding school (on the left, for decades the original home of Marquette College).
St. Florian Parish formed in West Milwaukee in 1911 and its current building was dedicated in 1939. Though the church lost a significant number of parishioners whose homes were razed for a freeway that was never built, the parish continues to serve the community today.
This photograph from around 1920 shows the Basilica from the lagoon in Kosciuszko Park.
From the Archives Department, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Libraries, Roman B. J. Kwasniewski Collection, 1886-1980. Photographs, 1907-1947. UWM Manuscript Collection 19, Nitrate Box 1, Nitrate Negative. Original ID: A07203; Digital Collection: Milwaukee Neighborhoods: Photos and Maps 1885-1992, Digital ID: kw000200.
Built in 1874, St. Michael's was originally known as the Salem Evangelical Church (Lutheran). It became home to St. Michael's, Wisconsin's only Ukrainian Roman Catholic Church, in 1953. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
Photograph of the St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Cathedral taken in 2016. Completed in 1958, the church is a key aspect of Milwaukee's Serbian community and includes a school and other cultural organizations.